Summary of BarCamp Belfast – on the day presentations about Business Startup – Java – GIS and the Semantic web .
Link to slides for our presentation ‘Java Bites Back’ – what’s bad and good about Enterprise Java, e.g. compared to Ruby.
|Grainne Lennon from Intertrade Ireland talked about the Seedcorn Business Startup competition. More details on the competition are here. Probably good to enter to help knock your business plan into shape, rather than expecting to get the Eur100,000 prize.
|Matt Keenan- from OpCode solutions (and one of the Barcamp organisers) – Starting your own tech business. Key points:
- Cash is King.
- Have a Business Plan – and don’t forget about your cashflow (spot a theme here?) as well as the usual revenue projects.
- Remember your exit strategy when talking to investors – they will want their money back!
- Enterprise Centres in Northern Ireland (38 of them)
- Subcontract rather than Employees – reduces your exposure / liabilities.
- Professional Contractors Group – free tax audit insurance , advice for members
|Con Hennessy from OpenApp.ie – Open Source GIS (Geographic Information Systems), particularly in the Health sector.
- (Open Source) Technologies used : Mapserver , PostgreSQL (Database), PostGIS , RProject (Statisical Analysis), GRASS , ZOPE (application framework) and Python
- GIS Data is very expensive
|–John Breslin – Cloudlands – Presenting on the Semantic Web as part of Web 2.0.
- What is Web 2.0 (second generation Web Architecture)
- Users – Content – Tags – Comments
- Sematic Web – Meta data (describes things on the web) and Ontologies (Dictionaries explaining the meaning of the meta tags)
- Freebase – open , shared database of the world’s knowledge.
|Colin Turner – Spreading Open Source Software via the Education Community.
- Not everybody understands or agrees what is Open Software
- Why isn’t free software used more in Education?
- People reasons (lose budget , free = bad , software is flakey , where’s my supported)
- Refuted (e.g. Quality, can get support , using software already)
- Teach students how to work in distributed teams.
|Alastair – Logon.ie
- Blogs and SEO
- Ezines – use Feedburner to deliver blog content via email
- SEO Title Tag – manually set titles
- URL rewriting
- RedFly Marketing – PHP script – to test landing page options
- Use subdomains (e.g. http://blog.firstpartners.net)